GridBright helps electric utilities improve grid operations through smarter solutions for managing resiliency, distributed resources, and renewables. The utility business is changing and new investments in Grid Modernization technology need to be made wisely for utilities to survive this transformation. GridBright consultants are working at the forefront of the changes in areas such as renewables, grid optimization, and grid reliability. GridBright brings this experience to our clients by helping them navigate the changes by providing the following services:
- Technology assessments
- Operations business process assessments
- Business case development
- Technology roadmap planning
- Operations systems architecture design
- Operations systems integration
- Operations technology implementation expertise
- Cyber security expertise
- Disaster recovery and fault tolerance implementation consulting
- Technology implementation services
- Performance tuning and support services for smart grid technology
- Training in industry standards, integration services and smart grid technology
- Harmonizing of technology, business processes and people to adapt to new utility business models
Smarter Solutions for Grid Resiliency
GridBright helps electric utilities improve resiliency through smarter solutions for distribution management, outage management, and restoration. We specialize in Outage Management Systems (OMS) and have extensive expertise with the following related services:
- OMS procurement including RFI/RFP preparation, vendor selection and negotiations
- Integration of OMS with other systems
- Use of analytics to supplement, enhance and leverage OMS functions
- Website outage maps and outbound outage notifications to the public and regulators
- Estimated Restoration Time calculations, metrics and management
- Damage assessment tools, setting up storm centers, storm drills and storm training
- Harmonizing restoration processes with Incident Command System
Advanced Distribution Management Solutions
GridBright helps electric utilities improve resiliency through smarter solutions for advanced distribution management. We specialize in Advanced Distribution Management Systems (ADMS) and have extensive expertise with the following related services:
- Business process and technology assessment, strategic roadmaps, and lifecycle planning
- Business case for new implementation, upgrades, or switching ADMS vendors
- Training – ADMS fundamentals, ADMS directions, and other ADMS topics
- Business process redesign to support a new ADMS implementation, migration, or upgrade
- ADMS procurement including RFI/RFP preparation, vendor selection, and negotiations
- Integration of ADMS with other systems
- Modeling of DERs and renewables in ADMS, and the integration of DERMS
- Volt/VAR Optimization (VVO) measurement and verification of results
- Use of analytics to supplement, enhance, and leverage ADMS functions
Distributed Energy Resource Management
Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) are impacting grid operations in profound ways. Renewable wind and solar generation are supplanting traditional central power plants, while creating network congestion especially at the distribution level. Rooftop solar, electric vehicles, and battery storage can dramatically alter customer load patterns and undermine tariff cost recovery. At the same time, utilities that can control these new resources can improve their carbon footprint, energy efficiency, grid reliability, and network asset lifecycles. GridBright specializes in Distributed Energy Resource Management Systems (DERMS) and related grid operational processes:
- Business process and technology assessment
- Strategic roadmaps and lifecycle planning
- Business case for new implementations
- Training – DERMS fundamentals, directions, and strategies
- Business process redesign to support DERMS
- DERMS procurement including RFI/RFP preparation, vendor selection, and negotiations
- Integration of DERMS with other systems
- Modeling of DERs and renewables in ADMS
- Use of analytics to supplement, enhance, and leverage DERMS functions
Grid Operational Analytics
Grid Analytics is the science of using data to help run the grid more efficiently and reliably. Historical analytics help operators learn from what happened in the past, so that they can better forecast what might happen in the future. Real-time analytics combine traditional SCADA sources with newer ‘Internet of Things’ telemetry to provide more comprehensive situational awareness. Predictive analytics help operators run the network closer to true operating limits and optimize asset lifecycles.
GridBright has deep expertise with integrating and leveraging vast amounts of data to support smarter grid operations through analytics:
Calculate historical outage and recovery metrics (e.g. SAIDI and CAIDI) by area and root cause to help predict risks , spot trends, prioritize changes and focus efforts on reliability goals.
Predictive Grid Analytics
Forecasting distribution network power balance, power flows, congestion, and violations to support optimal power flow (OPF) and volt-var optimization (VVO).
Distributed Energy Resources
Forecasting distributed load and generation, optimizing flexibility dispatch schedules, measuring & verifying response statistically, and calculating performance by asset and program.
Technology Strategies through Implementation
The utility business is changing and new investments in Smart Grid technology need to made wisely for utilities to survive this transformation change going on the industry. GridBright consultants are working at the forefront of the changes in areas such as renewables, grid optimization, and grid reliability. GridBright brings this experience to our clients by helping them navigate the changes by providing the following services:
Strategies and Roadmaps
Create multi-year business cases and technology transformation plans that bridge the gap from your current state to advanced grid operations.
Architecture and Design
Design innovative, scalable, and flexible grid management solutions, from simple application enhancements to new Smart Grid architectures.
Development and Integration
Develop and integrate new grid management capabilities, either by deploying a completely new solution or augmenting your existing applications.
Customization and Upgrade Services
Customize and/or upgrade your existing grid management application to unlock new features, capabilities, and business value.
Grid Management Thought Leadership
GridBright frequently presents and teaches at industry conferences. In the last year, this has included sessions on ADMS, OMS, DERMS, and Renewable integration at DistribuTECH, EUCI, IEEE, CEATI, and ARPA-E conferences.
Register to download one of our free whitepapers to receive news and information about our next events.
We are the Specialists in Grid Management
We have hands on experience with multiple smart grid technology products from ADMS, OMS, DERMS, AMI, analytics, integration, and platform technology from leading vendors. Each of our consultants has a minimum of 15 years of experience with utility operations software. Collectively they have been involved with more than 45 utility software implementations around the globe. They have a long history of working with various vendor business unit support, development and services. They have established an impeccable track record of delivering services and solutions on time and on budget, and have strong references from many utilities, large and small.